Sunday, March 29, 2009

 

Problem: Don't like my present job

Root Causes:
1) Not doing what a buyer do such as negotiating with suppliers, source for new suppliers, ....etc
Devil: A buyer should monitor inventory and source for materials. However, I have no authority to monitoring stock inventory. Buyer should also negotiate with suppliers on price, payment terms, and etc. I requested training in negotiation skills but I was rejected and informed that negotiation is done by the Directors in our company. It makes me feel that I am just doing administrative work in a purchasing department.

2) No progress & doing menial tasks like paperwork, follow up, pass documents, ...etc
Devil: After working for 3years, started to feel boring with the work. I need to do small things like photocopy, pass documents, ...etc. There are also times where she needs to prove her superiority. She will ask me to do some minor thing like collect documents from A but then she will pass the documents to B who sit just a little bit further away from A. She can actually do it herself.
God: She is the boss. She has the authority to request me to do things. No matter how minor/ trivial it is. She is using the delegation skills efficiently.

3) Dislike superior

Devil: Everything is email, email & email. I'm just sitting next to her and she still needs to email to me simple messages. She even emails when she ask for help to take away food. I understand that important messages have to be in black&white but sometimes also need to speak/ talk. Please don't expect everyone will face the PC all the times. I begin to hate/ dislike her when she tell us (subordinate) not to do A, B, C..etc. But we saw her do A, B, and C. Example is she commented if her subordinate talked on the phone for more than 10minutes but she herself can talked on the phone for 1 hour (not related to work). If she wants to comment something about me, she will not talked about it directly. She will tell it indirectly such as using an article, story, examples. I hate it when she twist & turn.
God: In the business world, everything should be black & white to avoid any mis-communication. It is to protect yourself. If compared with superiors from other departments, she is a better superior because she will not only talk and no action. She tried to minimize hard feelings/ sensitiveness by not commenting you directly.

3) Too many rules/ strict discipline from superior.
Devil: She trained her subordinates like training a soldier who has to obey her orders. In meetings, we are like students where she make us read and memorized article. No chatting with colleagues during working hours. She does not allowed us to talked on the phone for personal matters. I deals with local and international suppliers but I have no access to internet.Also, my phone line can only call local & Singapore numbers. All incoming/ outgoing mails to have to be filtered by my superior. I feel restricted and all my actions are being watched.
God: HOD from other departments likes to send their subordinate to my department for training because they thinks that my superior has the ability to train discipline employees. This is because my department staff are all well discipline.

Solutions:

1) Think positive
Every job is tough. For everything that I hate/ dislike, try to think the positive area. I will be more happy.

2) Make work fun/ interesting
Try to make the job/ task fun by making it interesting.

3) Find a new job
If everything else fails. The best thing to do is to find a new job. Maybe a new environment & work responsibilities me.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]