Thursday, March 26, 2009

 

Previous Decisions Shapes The Future

Everyone has the power to CHOOSE.

I AM what I am NOW because of my previous decisions.

As a student, I have been given the choice to study Science OR Art stream. I have no idea which one to choose because I don't know what is my real ambition and I don't really understand what's the importance of it. But, I chose Science stream because I heard that I can change to Art Stream if I don't like it later. This is because Science student can change to become Art student but not the other way. Later, I decided to maintain the decision because my friend is in the same class.

Then, I finished my SPM but I still don't know what I want. What course should I study and which college? I just collected brochures which I thought is very hot subject. I was thinking about which course could earn more money and no need to work very hard. I was confused and lost. Finally, I decided to choose to study Form 6. Because I still don't know what I want and my parents can't afford the expensive course fees. I am happy these 2 years because I have more friends & I just need to study and worry nothing else.

After finished Form 6, I need to choose again. I have picked up 5 courses at which university? At this stage, I still don't know what I want to study and where. At last, I chose Computer Science/ Information Technology in a local university not because I like the subject but because I know I have bigger change to be chosen. Yes, I was indeed offered my first chosen subject.

After 3 years of hard studying, I finally graduated. I have to choose a job/ career. I landed my first job in a multinational IT company but I'm doing back-end support job called administrator. Why I am not in IT field? I give excuses like the constant need to upgrade myself if I'm in the IT sector by learning those programming language. I justify that I prefer a 9 to 5 job than a job that needs to do overtime/ overnight. Or am I afraid that I'm not good enough. I survived in university because it focus on theoretical not practical. By memorizing the textbook and help from friends, I am able to score the tests. I even almost get 1st class honour.

I nearly become jobless 6 months after my first job because the contract ends. I was then offered another job in the same company because of my department head's referral. A few months later, I start to search for new job. Is it because of the insecurity I felt due to bad experience in my first job? Or because I don't like the job that I was doing? Or because I finally able to get offer for a permanent job after the tiring process of interviews after interviews.

I am now working as a buyer. Why do I chose to accept this new job even though the salary is lower than my previous position. I rationalized that the position of a buyer has more prospect than an ordinary administrative executive. I need to learn some skills in order for me to land on other job in the future. I know that I must take the challenge and CHANGE.

In summary, I realised that I am what I am today because of what I decided in my earlier years.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]